Higher education in Argentina
Unlike Dutch higher education, Argentinian higher education is not divided into and . Argentinian higher education institutions can offer both types of education. This often means that for each diploma we have to determine whether it is HBO or WO. Below, we describe the diplomas that we often see.
Higher professional education (hoger beroepsonderwijs, HBO). Dutch higher education distinguishes between research-oriented higher education (wetenschappelijk onderwijs, WO) and higher professional education (hoger beroepsonderwijs, HBO). HBO is more oriented towards professions in specific areas than WO, and has traditionally been offered at universities of applied sciences (hogescholen).
Research-oriented higher education (wetenschappelijk onderwijs, WO). Dutch higher education distinguishes between research-oriented higher education (wetenschappelijk onderwijs, WO) and higher professional education (hoger beroepsonderwijs, HBO). WO is oriented more towards theory and research than HBO, and has traditionally been offered at research universities (universiteiten).
In Argentina, students usually get a licenciada/licenciado after completing a bachelor’s programme (licenciatura). Sometimes, they get another diploma, such as a Título de abogada/abogado (after studying law) or a Título de Ingeniera/ingeniero (after studying engineering).
- Duration: 4 to 7 years. Medical study programmes often last at least 6 years.
- Content: vocational and/or research-oriented subjects, sometimes a thesis and/or an internship.
- Admission requirements: one of the following diplomas:
- Bachiller - educación secundaria orientada;
- Bachiller/Técnico - educación secundaria modalidad artística;
- Técnico – educación secundaria modalidad técnico profesional;
- Técnico superior (usually with exemptions);
- Técnico superior universitario (with exemptions).
An educational institution may also consider another diploma sufficient for admission.
- Function of the diploma: access to further study programmes (Magister en Especialista) or work.
- Diploma: Licenciada en or Licenciado en + field of study. Sometimes, it does not say Licenciada/licenciado on the diploma, but the name of the profession, for example:
- Título de abogada/o (lawyer);
- Título de arquitecta/o (architect); or
- Título de ingeniera/o (engineer).
We usually compare a Licenciada/o to an HBO bachelor’s degree or a WO bachelor’s degree, sometimes to 2 years of WO. It depends on the content and purpose of the study programme.
Intermediate diplomas (títulos de intermedios)
When students complete part of a bachelor’s programme (licenciatura), they sometimes get an intermediate diploma (títulos de intermedios). These diplomas may have a different name, such as:
- Analista universtitario;
- Técnico superior; or
- Técnico superior universitario.
After completing a bachelor’s programme (licenciatura), students can start an Especialista programme. Especialista programmes are called cursos de especialidad or cursos de especialización.
- Duration: at least 360 hours.
- Content: continuation of the field of study of the licenciada/licenciado. Students take practical subjects (formación práctica) and have to do an internship. They conclude the programme with a final project (trabajo final).
- Admission requirements: a licenciada/licenciado. Sometimes, there are extra requirements, such as an entrance exam.
- Function of the diploma: work, or sometimes students can get exemptions for some Magister subjects. This means that students can complete that programme in a shorter time, because they no longer have to follow the subjects they have an exemption for.
- Diploma: Especialista + field of study. Sometimes, the diploma has a different name, such as Diploma de Especialidad.
When students complete a master's programme (maestría), they receive a Magister.
- Duration: usually 1 to 2 years.
- Content: there are 2 types of master’s programmes:
- maestría académica: a research-oriented study programme. The emphasis is on doing academic research. Students complete the programme by writing a thesis (tésis);
- maestría profesional: a vocational study programme. Students complete the programme by doing a project, case study or art production.
- Admission requirements: a licenciada/licenciado.
- Function of the diploma: access to a PhD programme and work.
- Diploma: Magister en + profesión, field of study.
We compare a Magister to a HBO master’s degree or a WO master’s degree. This depends on the duration and content of the course.
If students complete a PhD programme (doctorado), they obtain the diploma Doctor.
- Duration: 2 to 6 years.
- Content: a research programme which students complete by defending a dissertation (tesis). They do this based on independent research.
- Admission requirements: usually a magister. Sometimes, a licenciada/licenciado is also sufficient for admission. In this case, the PhD programme will take longer.
- Diploma: Doctor.