Educational institutions and study programmes
Egyptian educational institutions and study programmes
Below, we explain what types of educational institutions and study programmes there are in Egypt. We also explain how we check whether these are recognised. We check the to make sure that the quality is sufficient. We give the necessary information per educational sector.
The government of a country grants an official status to an educational institution and/or study programme. Usually, if the government recognises an educational institution, all its study programmes are also recognised. However recognition may also be arranged at the programme level. This means that the government must recognise not only the educational institution, but also its study programmes. We only evaluate diplomas from recognised institutions and recognised study programmes. Read more about recognition in the EAR manual.
Secondary education | diplomas
For study programmes in secondary education, it is important to check whether the student has a recognised diploma. The recognised diplomas from upper secondary education are as follows:
- General secondary education certificate, the upper general secondary education diploma;
- Secondary education certificate of Al-Azhar, the upper religious secondary education diploma;
- Secondary school technical diploma, the upper technical secondary education diploma.
See Secondary education documents for a short explanation of the documents that students receive.
Higher education | educational institutions
There are different types of higher education institutions in Egypt:
- universities / جامعات
- Higher Institutes / المعاهد العليا
Universities offer profession-oriented and research-oriented study programmes. Universities can be either public or private. The Al-Azhar University offers 2 types of study programmes:
- study programmes that are focused entirely on Islamic studies;
- study programmes in fields of studies that are also offered at other universities, except the Al-Azhar programmes include extra subjects concerning the Islam.
Higher Institutes offer profession-oriented study programmes.
Checking the recognition of higher education institutions
Egyptian higher education institutions need to be recognised by the Supreme Council of Universities. You can check the recognition in the following way:
- Go to the website of the Supreme Council of Universities. Please note: this website is only available in Arabic.
- On this website, search for the educational institution of the study programme.
- Is the educational institution listed on the website? In that case, the institution is recognised.
- Is the educational institution not listed on the website? In that case, the institution is probably not recognised.