Educational institutions and study programmes
Bangladeshi educational institutions and study programmes
Below, we explain what types of educational institutions and degree programmes there are in Bangladesh. We also explain how we check whether these are recognised. We check the to make sure that the quality is sufficient. On this page, we give the necessary information per educational sector.
The government of a country grants an official status to an educational institution and/or study programme. Usually, if the government recognises an educational institution, all its study programmes are also recognised. However recognition may also be arranged at the programme level. This means that the government must recognise not only the educational institution, but also its study programmes. We only evaluate diplomas from recognised institutions and recognised study programmes. Read more about recognition in the EAR manual.
Secondary education | educational institutions
Students are educated at a school, but take their exams from a board. For this reason, you only have to check the recognition of that board, not of the school.
Secondary education | diplomas
In secondary education, you should especially pay attention to whether a student has a recognised diploma. Among other things, this means that the diploma should be awarded by a board. We describe the secondary education diplomas and boards that award them on our webpage about Bangladeshi primary and secondary education.
Higher education | educational institutions
There are 2 types of higher education institutions in Bangladesh:
- universities; and
Universities offer both HBO and WO study programmes. Sometimes, students are educated at a college that is affiliated to a university. In that case, the university awards the official diploma, not the college. Universities can be public, private or international.
Colleges usually offer only HBO study programmes. However, some colleges also offer WO study programmes, such as medicine. Some colleges are specialised in a certain field of study, for example engineering, law or medicine.
Colleges are always affiliated to a university. In most cases, they are affiliated to the National University. Universities award the official degrees. Colleges are not allowed to do that themselves.
Checking to which university a college is affiliated
Colleges are always affiliated to a university. You can check to which university a college is affiliated as follows:
- Go to the website of the college and search for information about affiliation.
- Does the website say that the college is affiliated to the National University (NU)?
- In that case, check if the college is mentioned in the NU database.
- Does the website say that the college is affiliated to another university?
- In that case, go to the website of that university and search for information that this is indeed the case.
- If so, the next step is to check if the university itself is recognised. See ‘Checking the recognition of universities’ above.
- The university awards the official diplomas and lists of grades, not the college.