Secondary vocational education
Secondary vocational education in Surinam
There are many types of study programmes in Surinam secondary vocational education. The study programmes often vary in terms of their admission requirements, , content and . You will need information about this in order to determine the level of a qualification. Below, we describe 2 diplomas we often see.
The official length of the full-time programme (not part-time) without study delay.
The possibility to continue on to an advanced programme, in some cases with exemptions for several subjects or a certain period.
When students conclude a study programme from the Natuurtechnisch Instituut – Middelbare Beroepsopleidingen (NATIN-MBO), they get a NATIN-diploma.
- Duration: 4 years.
- Content: in the 1st year, students choose a major:
- analisten (analysts);
- groen onderwijs (green education);
- natuurtechniek (nature and technology); or
- techniek (technology).
In the 2nd year, they choose a direction and specialisation within the major they chose. For more information, see the website of the NATIN-MBO (in Dutch).
- Admission requirements: a MULO-diploma B and an entrance exam. The educational institution may also accept other diplomas for admission.
- Function of the diploma: work.
- Diploma: NATIN-diploma.
We compare a NATIN-diploma to an diploma level 4.
Secondary vocational education (middelbaar beroepsonderwijs, MBO). MBO prepares pupils for the professional practice or further study. This type of education follows on from VMBO; its duration will depend on the chosen qualification. MBO comprises 4 levels (I-IV). Read more on the website of SBB.
When students complete a study programme from the Instituut voor Middelbaar Economisch en Administratief Onderwijs (IMEAO), they get an IMEAO-diploma.
- Duration: 4 years.
- Content: in the 1st year, all students take the same general education subjects. From the 2nd year onwards, students take vocational subjects for a specialisation they have chosen. They can choose from the following specialisations:
- economie/EC (economics)
- secretarieel/S (secretarial)
- statistiek/ST (statistics)
- toerisme/TO (tourism)
- Admission requirements: a MULO-diploma A/B. The educational institution may also accept other diplomas for admission.
- Function of the diploma: work and sometimes access to higher education.
- Diploma: IMEAO-diploma.
We compare an IMEAO-diploma to an MBO diploma level 4.