Secondary education study results

Since 2001, secondary education schools have been assessing study results with the letters A through E, with an A as the highest score and E as the lowest possible passing grade.

For the GCE O/L and GCE A/L, the Department of Examinations uses the following system to assess study results:

Percentage Result Letter grade Meaning
100-75 Distinction A Outstanding
74-65 Very Good Pass B Very good
64-50 Credit Pass C Good
49-35 Ordinary Pass S Satisfactory
34-00 Weak (Failure) W/F Fail

Secondary education documents

The Department of Examinations is responsible for the national examinations that students take at the end of key stage 1 (grades 10-11) and key stage 2 (grades 12- 13). The Department of Examinations also awards the official diplomas:

  • General Certificate of Education (Ordinary Level); and
  • General Certificate of Education (Advanced Level).

Please note: documents from secondary schools are therefore not official.

Higher education study results

Higher education institutions use a number of grading systems in conjunction. One system uses a 100-point scale. Sometimes, the points are therefore given as percentages, with 100% (100 points) as the highest score. In addition, institutions also use letters (grades) and a Grade Point Average (GPA).

For example, the University of Colombo uses the following 3 systems to assess study results:

Score (marks) Grade Grade Point Average (GPA)
80-100 A+ 4.00
75-79 A 3.75
70-74 A- 3.50
65-69 B+ 3.25
60-64 B 3.00
55-59 B- 2.75
50-54 C+ 2.50
45-49 C 2.25
40-44 C- 2.00
30-39 D 0.00 (Fail)
0-29 E 0.00 (Fail)
Incomplete I -
No Credit NC -
Audit AU -
Withdrawn W -
Withdrawn-failing WF -
Repeat completed RC -

Some institutions award students with good study results with an honours classification (1st/2nd class), denoted on their diploma. Institutions use the GPA system to calculate who is eligible for an honours classification.

Higher education documents

Students can prove that they have completed a higher education study programme with the following documents:

  • a diploma; and
  • a grade list, preferably an official transcript of record.