Grades and study results
Secondary education study results
The score for the state exam is stated on the appendix to the diploma (allegato del diploma). This is a score between 0 and 100. A score of 60 or higher is required for a pass.
Higher education study results
In case of higher education diplomas, there are often 2 types of study results:
- a study result for the overall diploma; this is a score between 66 and 110. Con lode (cum laude) is sometimes stated in case of the maximum score of 110.
- study results per subject; these are scores between 0 and 30. A score of 18 or higher is required for a pass.
Secondary education documents
The following documents serve as proof that students have completed Italian upper secondary education:
- a Diploma di superamento dell’esame di stato conclusivo; and
- an appendix to the diploma (allegato del diploma). However, this term is not stated on the diploma.
Both documents are issued by Italian ministry of Education, University and Research (Ministero dell'Istruzione, dell'Universita' e della Ricerca, MIUR).
Higher education documents
When students complete a higher education study programme, they receive the following documents:
- a diploma; and
- a transcript and sometimes a diploma supplement.