Global mobility streams
Please note that our most recent data from UNESCO are not for all countries complete for the year 2019.
- About 6.1 million degree students studied abroad in 2019, up from 5.7 million in 2018 (+6.8%).
- The most important sending country in 2019 was China, followed by India and Vietnam.
- The most important receiving country in 2019 was the United States of America. This country received almost 1 million international students in this year. Australia and the United Kingdom make the top 3 of receiving countries complete.
- Australia saw the biggest absolute increase in the number of degree students coming from abroad in 2019 (+64,646 compared to the year before), followed by Canada (+54,620) and the United Arab Emirates (+49,292).
- 20,167 Dutch degree students studied abroad in 2019, up from 17,683 in 2018 (+14.0%).
For further information, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.