The National Research Foundation of South Africa (NRF) and Nuffic Neso South Africa are working together to enable 50 South African students to study towards a PhD in the Netherlands between 2018 and 2022.
For the 2019 round of applications the aim is to grant 20 scholarships.
Nuffic Neso South Africa coordinates the programme for the Netherlands and the NRF has asked us to invite expressions of interest from Dutch universities who would like to participate in this second call.
Principles of the programme
- The NRF will provide scholarships for students from South Africa to study in the Netherlands. The scholarship will cover subsistence allowance, insurance, international travel and cost for visa, but not tuition fee.
- Participating Dutch universities are expected to host the PhD candidates from South Africa and provide research supervision and facilities.
- Participating Dutch universities will not charge tuition fees to the candidates or the NRF.
There will be two modalities:
- a full PhD trajectory in the Netherlands;
- joint degrees with joint supervision and PhD candidates dividing their time/presence between the Dutch and South African institution.
The framework for the 2019 call has not been fully determined, but will be in line with the framework for the first call. Please read this carefully:
How to express your interest
If you are interested in this programme, please fill in the application form before 15 November 2018:
If you have any questions, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.