General information

Our office in The Hague is open to external visitors only with an appointment. We follow the advice of the Dutch government. You can contact us through our contact form or by telephone.

Useful websites

For general questions and information about the coronavirus and education we refer to thewebsite of the Government of the Netherlands.

You can also find general information about the coronavirus on the website of the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM).

For general questions and information about the coronavirus and your residence permit we refer to the website of the IND.

Primary and secondary education


You can find all the latest information about the coronavirus and the Erasmus+ programme on the website of Erasmus+ (only in Dutch).


Many exchange programmes have been postponed. eTwinning enables you to carry on with your project in an online format. Read more on the eTwinning website.

Quality inspections bilingual education (tto)

Many (language) tests and exchanges have been put on hold. As this is force majeure, we will take a more lenient approach once we resume our inspections.

For example, we will not penalise your school for not offering the Cambridge Checkpoint test, or for cancelling an exchange visit or international internship. It is important, however, that your school is able to show that such activities are part of your bilingual education programme.

If you have any questions, please email us via

Higher education and vocational education

Currently, there are no physical classes. Vocational and higher education institutions have switched to online classes.

There will be exceptions for students sitting exams or tests, for students with practical classes and for vulnerable students. For more information, please visit the institution's website and the website of the Government of the Netherlands.

Dutch students abroad

Students in risk areas must adhere to local measures and they may not be allowed to travel, including back to the Netherlands.

Students allowed to travel need to decide for themselves whether to go home. They may want to coordinate this with their education institution. For more information, visit the website of the Government of the Netherlands (only in Dutch).

Student support

If you are a Dutch student abroad, you should first contact your travel insurance company. In addition, you can use the following channels:

  • the Dutch embassies abroad, available 24/7 by phone at +31 247 247. From there you will be directed to the right embassy.
  • the Ministry of Foreign Affairs via WhatsApp on +31 6 82 38 77 96.
  • the Ministry of Foreign Affairs via Twitter at @24/7BZ.

International students and academic staff in the Netherlands

Right of residence

The coronavirus may have consequences for the right of residence of international students in the Netherlands. Do you work at a higher education institution and do you have questions about individual cases? Please contact the IND directly.

The IND is keeping in touch with all relevant stakeholders about this rapidly evolving situation. Please follow the updates on the IND website and note that their response times are slower than usual.

Together with IND, we frequently organise a digital Q&A for higher education institutions. You can ask us anything related to right of residence issues, or any other issues with your international students. Are you intereseted, or do you have any other questions? Please contact our Mobility Obstacles network

Are you an international student or researcher and do you have a question about your residence permit? We advise you to contact your hosting education institution.

Admission and residence

We have set up a dedicated page with corona information for international students on our Study in Holland website. there, you will also find a useful information sheet for international students, with the most recent information on a range of issues.

Whether students from risk areas are allowed to go to the Netherlands to study or do an internship, depends on local measures. Travel restrictions may be in place. This is a decision for education institutions and employers to make, in consultation with the local authorities and taking into account the local medical and safety situation.

You may want to contact your regional GGD health centre. If students or interns from risk areas were to travel to the Netherlands, it is important to seek good advice. For more information, visit the RIVM website.

Health and safety

If you have any questions about the health and safety situation in the Netherlands, please contact your Dutch education institution.

Most institutions have a designated desk, service or contact person for international students with questions related to the coronavirus. In addition, keep an eye on the information from the embassy of your country of origin.

COVID vaccination

All international students and researchers studying or conducting research in the Netherlands are eligible for COVID vaccination. The RIVM sends the invitation to the address that is registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP). It is therefore important that this address is up to date.

Students or researchers who are studying or doing research in a health care-related field are advised to contact their (internship) employer to check whether they might be eligible for an earlier vaccination.

A student or researcher may also have a medical indication, which will be determined by the Dutch general practitioner (in Dutch: huisarts) where they are registered.

Mobility obstacles for students and academic staff

The coronavirus has affected the international mobility of students and scientific staff.

Together with educational institutions, education umbrella organisations and relevant government agencies, we are looking for solutions to these problems. Both for Dutch people going abroad and for foreign students and researchers in the Netherlands.

You can email questions about mobility to:


You can find all the latest information about the Erasmus+ programme on the website of Erasmus+ (only in Dutch).

Expiring visas

Are you a student, researcher, scientist or staff member in a risk area and unable to go home, with your visa expiring shortly? Please contact your own institution and your embassy’s consular department in the country you’re in. They will give you further advice.

Diploma evaluation

We are mostly working from home. This means we cannot process any documents that were sent by regular post. We do process documents received online of through email. This can take longer than usual. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and we are grateful for your understanding.

Nuffic certificate for Chinese students

Chinese students can often not take an English test, because of travel restrictions and the closure of examination centres. They can still apply for a Nuffic certificate for admission to a study programme in the Netherlands.

Students can submit their application with a language waiver request. We will issue the Nuffic certificate provisionally, so that the registration process can continue. The education institution will need to ask the student to submit the TOEFL or IELTS certificate at a later stage, before the start of the visa application process.

This ensures that we avoid any delays, as soon as the travel restrictions in China are lifted.

You can find more information on the NCAS website.

Nuffic Neso offices

Our Neso offices are closely monitoring the local situation and are in touch with the Dutch embassies and consulates general. If necessary they will adjust their opening hours and accessibility. Follow their social media channels for the latest news or contact the relevant Neso office.

Many countries have additional travel restrictions for citizens returning from abroad, such as a mandatory quarantine period of 1 to 2 weeks. Always check with the government of the country you are travelling to.

Orange Knowledge Programme

Measures for all instruments

On 30 April 2020 we sent out a programme update to announce (new) measures, which apply to all OKP and NICHE instruments. Our letter below, which is also available in French, clarifies what extra flexibility you will have during this pandemic and which obligations you will still have to meet.

Letter: Measures related to corona (150.81 kB)

Lettre: Mesures relatives au coronavirus‌ (155.92 kB) (in French)

Individual scholarships

Leniency measures

We have put leniency measures in place for grants awarded before 2020. Read our letter and the minutes of our webinar for more information:

Letter: measures related to corona (150.81 kB)

For grants awarded in 2020, please check the Grant Obligations & Conditions applicable to that deadline.

Exceptions for application round 3

We accept Employer Statements that have been signed digitally and/or have not been stamped, provided there are no doubts regarding their authenticity and they meets all other requirements.

We encourage the development of online alternatives for the affected courses. Face-to-face courses that take place between now and 1 September 2021 can be offered online, provided the content is similar and the total duration of the course stays the same.

Institutional collaboration projects & Tailor-Made Training

If you are running a project in an area affected by the corona measures, please check the rules in the grant obligations documents you received when you were allocated the subsidy. There are special cost categories for contingencies.

If your project or your Tailor-Made Training will start later than originally planned, this is not a problem. We do ask you to please contact the responsible Country Programme Manager for your project before cancelling or postponing anything or putting activities on hold. You can send an email to

TMT+ & Institutional collaboration

All organisations working on proposals for open TMT+ and Institutional calls will receive 3 weeks extra time to work on their proposals.

Contact persons Orange Knowledge Programme

Staff of education institutions and participating organisations can contact our contact persons. Scholarship holders need to contact their education institution for more information.

More questions

Do you have a question and you can't find the answer on this page? Please contact us.