Back to top


If you are dissatisfied with how a particular matter has been dealt with, we will do our best to resolve the problem.

Usually, a telephone call will set things right. If it doesn’t you can consider submitting a complaint. We have a complaints procedure in place that you can use if you have a complaint about the manner in which you have been served by Nuffic.

What types of complaints can you submit?

If you feel Nuffic has acted improperly, you can submit a complaint. Improper action may include:

  • failure to use appropriate manners or behave respectfully;
  • failure to provide requested information in a timely manner or at all;
  • failure to respond to letters in a timely manner;
  • failure to live up to agreements;
  • lack of willingness to correct mistakes;
  • careless handling of data and/or information you provided;
  • inaccessibility of one of our websites.

Procedure for submitting complaints

If you wish to submit a complaint, you should send a letter to the Director-General of Stichting Nuffic (the Nuffic Foundation).

Your letter should include the following:

  • a description of your complaint;
  • the name of the person and department to whom and which the complaint relates;
  • the date on which the matter to which the complaint relates took place;
  • your name and address;
  • your signature;
  • the date.

Please describe your complaint and the reasons for it as completely and clearly as possible in order to ensure a fast and appropriate response.

Handling of complaints

The person assigned to handle your complaint will confirm receipt of your letter as soon as possible. Should you prefer, you can also submit your complaint verbally. To do this, schedule an appointment with the officer handling your complaint. We will make a written report of your verbal complaint.

The staff member to whom your complaint relates will receive a copy of your letter or the report. He or she has the right to provide a verbal and/or written opinion of the complaint.

The Executive Board decides how the complaint will be settled and will subsequently inform you and the person whose behaviour the complaint relates to in writing of its decision and reasoning.

You will be informed about their decision within six weeks of receipt of your complaint. If necessary, this period may be extended by a further four weeks, in which case you will be notified.

Rejection of a complaint

In some cases, we will not process the complaint. This can be because:

  • the behaviour to which the complaint relates has already been addressed on the basis of a previous complaint;
  • the complaint is submitted more than a year after the behaviour took place;
  • the complaint does not relate to behaviour but to something else, such as elements of a product or service;
  • the significance or severity of the behaviour to which the complaint relates is deemed insufficient.

If your complaint is rejected, you will be notified of the decision and reasoning within four weeks of receipt of your letter of complaint.

Registration of complaints

All complaints are registered centrally, with due regard for the confidential nature of your personal details. Each year, the Executive Board issues a report on the total number of complaints, nature of the complaints, manner in which they were settled and resulting recommendations, if any.

You can send your complaint to:

Attn: Director-General
PO Box 29777
2502 LT The Hague
The Netherlands

Or by email to


On behalf of the Minister of Foreign Trade and Development Cooperation and in her capacity of National Agency Erasmus+ (NA) Nuffic takes administrative decisions in various subsidy programmes such as NICHE, Orange Knowledge Programme (OKP), MENA Scholarship Programma (MSP) and Erasmus+. You can submit an objection by letter if you do not agree with an administrative decision.

You are recommended to get in touch with your contact person at Nuffic or the NA before submitting an objection. Your objection may be based on ambiguities that can be immediately cleared up following an explanation.

An objection can only be submitted against an administrative decision, i.e. a legal act under public law with legal effect (for example a rejection of a grant application, a decision determining the final amount of the grant or a change of the grant award) by an interested party, which is a legal entity or natural person who is directly affected by the decision.

Submitting a notice of objection

You can find the information on how to submit an objection at the bottom of the contested decision (objection clause).

Submitting a notice of objection about Erasmus+

You can send the objection to:

National Agency Erasmus+
Attn. Director NA
PO Box 29777
2502 LT The Hague
The Netherlands

or by email to:

Submitting a notice of objection about another subsidy programme

You can send the objection about NICHE, Orange Knowledge Programme (OKP), MENA Scholarship Programme (MSP) or another subsidy programme to:

Attn. General-Director
PO Box 29777
2502 LT The Hague
The Netherlands

or by email to:


An objection has comply with the statutory requirements in order for it to be taken into consideration. Your objection must:

  • be submitted within six weeks after the contested decision was sent (date of the decision);
  • include the full name and address of the interested party (and possibly an authorisation in the event of representation by a third party);
  • include the date on which you write the objection;
  • include a description of the contested decision (and preferably a copy of the contested decision);
  • the reasons why you submit the objection (grounds for the objection);
  • be signed;

If you have written your objection in a language other than Dutch, you must provide a good Dutch translation if requested.

If your objection does not meet these requirements, it may be declared inadmissible. That means it is not handled. Please keep in mind the objection period.

If you cannot meet all requirements on time then you can submit a pro forma objection. That is an incomplete objection with at least:

  • your name and address
  • the date
  • the description of the contested decision

After the receipt we will give you the opportunity to complete the objection within a short time. If you do not submit your (pro-forma) notice of objection on time, the notice of objection will generally be declared inadmissible.

Handling of the objection

Receipt of your objection will be confirmed as soon as possible. Your objection will be taken into consideration if the objection is admissible (complies with legal requirements). You may be requested to provide additional documents or information. You may also be invited to be heard and explain your objection. An Nuffic or National Agency employee may attend in order to explain the contested decision.

Withdrawing an objection

If you change your mind and would like to withdraw your objection, you can do so in writing.

Decision on the objection

The Director-General of Nuffic or the Director NA will take the decision on the objection. This decision on the objection comprises a reassessment of the contested decision generally on the basis of all relevant facts and circumstances. A decision on the objection can have various outcomes:

  • Inadmissible: your objection does not comply with all legal requirements and therefore cannot be taken into consideration.
  • Founded: your objection is successful and that the contested decision will be revised.
  • Unfounded: the contested decision is maintained.

A decision on the objection is normally taken within 6 weeks after the end of the objection period. This period can be extended by 6 more weeks.

You do not agree with the decision on the objection

If you do not agree with the decision on the objection, you can file an appeal against this decision within 6 weeks after the date of the decision on the objection. An explanation of how to do this is provided at the bottom of the decision on the objection.

Submitting a Woo request

You may request documented information about Nuffic's public tasks. As of 1 May 2022, the Open Government Act (Woo) will replace the Government Information Public Access Act (Wob). You can submit a request for public information by filling out this form.

Meer over