Facts: United States and education
- Country: United States (US), officially the United States of America (USA).
- Responsible for education: The U.S. Department of Education (ED or DoEd). Responsibilities of the State Boards of Education include statewide curriculum standards and high school graduation requirements.
- International treaties: The U.S. Department of Education (ED) has several bilateral relationships and agreements with other countries on cooperation and knowledge sharing.
- Compulsory education: ages 5/6/7 to 16/17/18 years, it varies from state to state.
- Language of instruction: English.
- School year: starts between mid-August and the end of September and ends between mid-May and the end of June (varies from state to state).
- Academic year: September to May/June.