Secondary education grading system
General and technical secondary education
General secondary schools and technical secondary schools use the following systems:
|Numerical grade||Letter grade||100-point system||Meaning|
Vocational secondary education
Schools for vocational secondary education use an assessment scale of 0-100, with a pass mark of 50 or higher.
|85.00-100||Pek iyi||Very good|
Higher education grading system
Universities in Turkey use various grading scales:
- 0-10 (5 or higher is satisfactory); or
- 0-20 (10 or higher is satisfactory); or
- 0-100 (50 or higher is satisfactory).
European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS)
Turkish higher education institutions use the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS) for their degree programmes. This system is based on 60 credits for each year of study.
The standard requirements are:
- 120 credits for a Ön Lisans Diploması (associate degree);
- 240 credits for a Lisans Diploması (bachelor);
- 90 or 120 credits for a Yüksek Lisans Diploması (master);
- 180-240 credits for a Doktora Diploması (PhD).
You can find more information about the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS) in the ECTS Users’ Guide, published by the European Commission.