Facts: Syria and education
- Country: Syria (سوريا, officially: the Syrian Arab Republic). Since 2011, there has been a civil war in Syria with far-reaching consequences for the people who live there. For example, students cannot always go to school. Syrians have little or no opportunity to study.
- Responsible for education:
- Primary and secondary education: the Ministry of Education (MoED)
- Higher education: the Ministry of Higher Education (MoHE). The Council for Higher Education is the coordinating organisation.
- Age of compulsory education: 6-15 (primary education and lower secondary education).
- Language of instruction: Arabic. Some master's degree programmes are in English.
- School year: September to June.
- Academic year: September to June.