In Philippine higher education, quality assurance consists of:

Permission from the CHED

Private educational institutions must request permission from the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) for every study programme they offer. They first get a temporary permit for 2 years (initial permit). Then the initial permit is extended for 1 year. If, during the extension, the study programme meets the minimum requirements that the CHED has set for its recognition, the CHED recognises the study programme. This is called Government Recognition (GR). You can find an overview of recognised undergraduate programmes on the CHED website. ‘GR’ is usually mentioned behind the names of recognised study programmes.

Please note:

Sometimes, the CHED website is unavailable. If this is the case, you can do the following:

  • Look up in which Philippine region the higher education institution is located. The region is sometimes mentioned on the institution’s website. If not, find out in which city the institution is located and to which region this city belongs.
  • Search for the website of the regional CHED office. These websites are usually available. The CHED has several regional offices.
  • You can often find an overview of study programmes per higher education institution on the website of the regional CHED office.


Public higher education institutions do not have to ask the CHED’s permission. They are only required to register their study programmes with the CHED. You can find these study programmes on the CHED website as well. They are recognised, even though ‘GR’ is not mentioned.

CHED guidelines

Guidelines for each study programme are laid down in a document called Policies, Standards and Guidelines (PSGs). For example, a PSG can set out the content (curriculum) of study programmes. The CHED publishes such documents as CHED Memorandum Orders (CMOs). The CHED website also contains examples of curricula for a small number of bachelor's programmes.

Accreditation by private organisations

Higher education institutions can have their programmes accredited by private organisations. This is not compulsory. The Federation of Accrediting Agencies of the Philippines (FAAP) oversees these private organisations for accreditation. There are 3 in the Philippines:

Please note:

Accreditation is not compulsory, but it offers benefits for educational institutions. An accredited programme receives an accreditation level (Level I, II, III or IV). The higher the accreditation level, the more benefits there are. For example, from accreditation level 1 (Level I) onwards, educational institutions no longer need to apply for an SO number from the CHED for that study programme.