Skip to main content
- Country: Ireland, officially the Republic of Ireland (Irish: Poblacht na hÉireann). Ireland became independent in 1949.
- Responsible for education: the Department of Education. Education legislation consists of Education Acts.
- Bologna Process: Ireland has been a member of the Bologna Process and the European Higher Education Area (EHEA) since 1999. See also the information on Ireland on the EHEA-website.
- International treaties: Ireland signed and ratified the Lisbon Recognition Convention in 2004.
- Compulsory education: ages 6 to 16.
- Language of instruction: English or Irish in primary and secondary schools. English in higher education.
- School year: August to May.
- Academic year: September to June.