Back to top

Secondary education documents

The following document allows students to prove that they have completed secondary education:

Only the State Examinations Commission (SEC) may issue Leaving Certificates.

Provisional results

Provisional results allow students to apply to study in Ireland or abroad. The State Examinations Commission (SEC) issues the Statement of Provisional Results in August. In the following months, students can object to the results. In November or December, the SEC issues the Leaving Certificate with the final results.

Higher education documents

The following document allows students to prove that they have completed a higher education programme:

  • the diploma; and
  • an academic transcript including study and exam results.

Diplomas and transcripts are usually in English. Degrees from the National University of Ireland are awarded in Latin and in English (for a fee).

The results of University College Dublin students can be checked in the Academic Transcript. In the transcript, there is a link to UCD’s database. There, you can open the student's transcript.

Who is allowed to award diplomas?

Universities may award degrees, such as bachelor’s and master’s degrees. The National University of Ireland (NUI) also awards degrees for 3 institutions that are not allowed to do so themselves. These institutions are:

  • Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland;
  • Institute of Public Administration;
  • Uversity (in the period 2013-2017).

Universities, institutes of technology and the QQI award diplomas to students of non-degree programmes. Examples are the Level 6 Advanced Certificate and the Higher Certificate.

Diploma Supplement

Irish higher education institutions do not always use the International Diploma Supplement. However, they usually provide an academic transcript, which lists the study and exam results obtained.

You can find more information on the Diploma Supplement (DS) on the Europass website, including examples of diploma supplements.