Skip to main content
- Country: India, officially the Republic of India. The country was part of the British Empire from 1858 to 1947. Under the leadership of Mahatma Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, India was proclaimed an independent state in 1947. The country is divided into 28 states and 8 union territories.
- Responsible for education: Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) and the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE).
- International treaties: read more on the MHRD website.
- Compulsory education: ages 6-14 years.
- Language of instruction: primary and secondary education: native language (usually Hindi), sometimes English. Higher education: usually English.
- Final examinations for secondary education: usually in March and April, but other months are also possible.
- Academic year: the universities generally divide an academic year into 2 semesters. Month in which they start or end may vary per state.