Working abroad with a Dutch diploma

Would you like to work in a different country with your Dutch diploma? Then you need to check whether your profession is regulated in that country.

If a profession is regulated, there are certain criteria you need to meet to be able to practice this profession. These requirements have been laid out in legislature by country.

For each profession there is a 'competent authority' that checks whether you meet the requirements.

How do I know whether a profession is regulated?

For countries in the European Union and for Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland, you can check the database of the European Commission. This will show you whether the profession is regulated in your destination country.

For countries outside the European Union you can contact the NARIC office of that country. They can tell you how to proceed.

My profession is regulated, what do I do?

Contact the competent authority and ask how to get permission to practise the profession in that country. 

You can find contact details for the relevant authority by clicking on the name of the profession in the European database

Are you staying in the EU? Then check whether you can apply for a European Professional Card or an AC declaration.

My profession is not regulated, what now?

You are free to practise the profession. If you would like to provide your future employer with information on your Dutch diploma, you can submit a request for a diploma description (in Dutch).

For more information on diploma descriptions, check Studying abroad with a Dutch diploma.

Are you having difficulties with the recognition of your profession within the EU?

Contact SOLVIT, the complaints office of the European Commission.

last modified May 18, 2018 02:26 PM