Regulated professions within the EU

You are planning to work in an EU country or in Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland and your profession is regulated in that country. The following documents are proof that you meet the Dutch requirements of your profession. They will make it easier to have your profession recognised in your destination country.

European Professional Card

The European Professional card is an electronic procedure to get your profession recognised in another EU country. You can apply for a European Professional Card if you want to practice one of the following professions:

  • pharmacist
  • physiotherapist
  • real estate agent
  • nurse
  • mountain guide 

You can find more information about the costs and application procedure on the website for 'Your Europe'.

Working in education 

Are you working as a teacher in the Netherlands? Then you can ask DUO for a declaration that you are allowed to teach certain subjects here, a Verklaring van onderwijsbevoegdheid (in Dutch).

Working in healthcare

Are you registered with the BIG-register of the Dutch Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport? Then you can apply for a Certificate of Current Professional Status (in Dutch).

Vocational education diploma

Are you working in a regulated profession with a vocational education (mbo) diploma? Then you need to contact the Cooperation Organisation for Vocational Education, Training and the Labour Market, S-BB.

AC declaration

Are you working in a different regulated profession and are you planning to go to another EU country or Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland? Then apply for a free AC declaration. It states that your profession is regulated in the Netherlands. 

Certificate of conduct

In some cases you may need a certificate of conduct (in Dutch: Verklaring Omtrent Gedrag, VOG). You can find more information on how to apply for this certificate on the website of the Dutch government

Are you having difficulties with the recognition of your profession within the EU?

Then you can contact SOLVIT, the EU complaints desk.

last modified May 24, 2018 05:00 PM