Recognition of your Dutch profession abroad

Did you obtain your diploma in the Netherlands and do you want to work in another country? Find out whether you need permission of a competent authority to practise your profession in that country.

Working in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland

Check the website of the European Commission for a list of regulated professions in each of these countries.

Is your profession on the list? Then contact the competent authority that is referred to. For more information, also contact the Assistance Centre (AC) in the country where you want to work.

Is your profession not on the list? Then you are free to enter the labour market.

Working in other countries

Check with the relevant authorities whether your profession is regulated and whether you need permission to practise it.

Certificates and declarations

Most countries require an official qualification certificate or declaration from the country in which you obtained your diploma. You can show this certificate or declaration to the competent authority in the country where you want to work:

  • Healthcare professions:
    Are you registered in the BIG-register of the Dutch Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport? Apply for a certificate of Professional Status on the website of the BIG-register.
  • Other professions:
    Apply for an AC declaration from Nuffic. This only applies to professions in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland.

Diploma description

In all cases, it may be helpful to ask Nuffic to provide a description of your Dutch diploma. A diploma description may be helpful in finding a job.

last modified Feb 07, 2018 10:16 AM